Postdoctor in Microbiomes for Enhancing Meals Techniques
- Do you’ve a PhD in a related self-discipline space, resembling microbiology or microbial genomics?
- Thrilling alternative to give attention to meals chain impacts on the microbiome of contemporary produce
- Be part of CSIRO – Australia’s main scientific analysis organisation!
CSIRO Early Analysis Profession (CERC) Postdoctoral Fellowships present alternatives to scientists and engineers who’ve accomplished their doctorate and have lower than three years of related postdoctoral work expertise. These fellowships goal to develop the subsequent technology of future leaders of the innovation system.
The place can be a part of the Microbiomes for One Techniques Well being – Future Science Platform (FSP). CSIRO FSPs handle new scientific challenges for Australia.
The Microbiome Future Science Platform (FSP) is creating new understanding of microbiome connectivity throughout the surroundings to human continuum and the way system perturbations impression on microbiome performance, range and techniques well being. A key goal is to seize better profit from microbiome interactions by way of extra informative and predictive frameworks for performance and by focused interventions. Capability to instantly manipulate microbiomes throughout hosts and environments will present new alternatives for bio-based options to be developed and utilized to enhance host and environmental well being and for elevated profit to crops, animals and people.
The portfolio of analysis throughout the Microbiome FSP is focussed round new science that handle; techniques connectivity, predictive frameworks and deliberate Interventions by way of the appliance of multi-omic instruments to analyse level and system degree change and related measures of performance each inside and throughout interconnected biomes. This contains integration and evaluation of multi-layered knowledge and use of empirical and/or statistical modelling. The science portfolio of the FSP spans a number of CSIRO Enterprise Models that handle key focal areas that embody; i) Atmosphere, Soil & Plant Well being, ii) Meals Chain & Manufacturing ii) Food plan, Intestine and Well being and iv) Optimized Trade & City Processes.
As a part of a broader meals system microbiome challenge crew, that is an thrilling alternative for a CERC Postdoctoral Fellow to give attention to how meals chain components (e.g. manufacturing, harvest, washing, packing, storage situations and many others) impression on the microbiome of contemporary produce. They will even take a look at creating interventions to provide the ‘best microbiome’ for selling the protection and shelf lifetime of contemporary produce. The Fellow will work throughout the meals chain and with different CERC Postdoctoral Fellows wanting on the interconnectivity from the phyllosphere microbiome by way of to human intestine microbiomes. It will embody working with different researchers to grasp by way of chain microbiome dynamics, develop meals microbiome mannequin techniques by way of experimentation with “designer” communities and supply enter into simulated microbiome fashions. The Fellow will even help actions focussed on understanding microbiome interactions and impacts of meals construction and performance on the human intestine microbiome and discover the connectivity throughout the environment-food-gut system continuum. Outputs will result in the event of meals system interventions and microbiome manipulation to enhance meals system assurance and public well being advantages. https://analysis.csiro.au/microbiome/
Your duties will embody:
- Designing and performing experiments to research meals chain system impacts (e.g. manufacturing, harvest, washing, packing, storage situations and many others) on the microbiome of plant based mostly meals utilizing multi-omics approaches.
- Figuring out the ‘best meals microbiome’ for selling the protection and shelf lifetime of the plant-based meals. These learnings will inform the design of challenge work elsewhere within the FSP; for instance, to higher perceive the impact of processing and meals construction on the best meals microbiome’s viability and supply upon consumption, and the nexus between the meals, the human intestine microbiome, and the ensuing well being outcomes.
- Figuring out alternatives for meals system interventions and microbiome manipulation to enhance assurance and public well being advantages
- Contribute to supervising postgraduate college students.
- Contribute to the gathering of samples or supplies, requiring the usage of a CSIRO car.
- Working with hazardous chemical substances and biologicals in a laboratory surroundings.
- Sustaining confidentiality of delicate knowledge.
- Perform modern, impactful analysis of strategic significance to CSIRO that can, the place potential, result in novel and essential scientific outcomes.
- Utilise design pondering methodology to plan and put together analysis proposals, and apply impression methodology to analysis initiatives.
Location: Brisbane, QLD
Wage: AU$88k – AU$96k plus as much as 15.4% superannuation
Tenure: Specified time period of three years
To be thought-about you’ll need:
- A doctorate (or will shortly fulfill the necessities of a PhD) in a related self-discipline space, resembling microbiology, microbial genomics, molecular biology, microbial ecology, host-microbe interactions or meals microbiology. Please word: To be eligible for this function you will need to have not more than 3 years (or part-time equal) of postdoctoral analysis expertise.
- A present Australian Driver’s licence.
- Expertise in designing, conducting, analysing and reporting microbiome experiments, together with expertise with a wide range of omics and bioinformatic approaches to analyse microbiome knowledge.
- Excessive degree written and oral communication abilities with the flexibility to signify the analysis crew successfully internally and externally, together with the presentation of analysis outcomes at nationwide and worldwide conferences.
- A sound historical past of publication in peer reviewed journals and/or authorship of scientific papers, reviews, grant functions or patents.
For full particulars about this function please view the Place Description
To be eligible for this function you should be an Australian/New Zealand Citizen, Australian Everlasting Resident or Australian momentary resident presently residing in Australia (visa sponsorship could also be supplied to eligible onshore candidates).
To be appointed to this CERC Postdoctoral Fellowship function, the profitable candidate can be anticipated to begin employment by December 2021/January 2022.
The profitable applicant can be required to acquire and supply a Nationwide Police Examine or equal. Extra integrity checks could also be required for particular roles which require safety clearance for working with youngsters, Australian Authorities cybersecurity necessities or different recognized safety roles.
Versatile Working Preparations
We work flexibly at CSIRO, providing a spread of choices for a way, when and the place you’re employed.
Range and Inclusion
We’re working onerous to recruit folks representing the variety throughout our society, and be sure that all our folks really feel supported to do their greatest work and really feel empowered to let their concepts flourish.
At CSIRO Australia’s nationwide science company, we clear up the best challenges by way of modern science and know-how. We put the protection and wellbeing of our folks above all else and earn belief in all places as a result of we solely deal in information. We collaborate broadly and generously and ship options with actual impression.
Be part of us and begin creating tomorrow as we speak!
Find out how to Apply
Please apply on-line and supply a canopy letter and CV that greatest show your motivation and skill to fulfill the necessities of this function.
20 September 2021, 11:00pm AEST