PhD place on resistance gene identification in wheat
Fusarium head blight is among the most damaging illnesses of wheat (Triticum aestivum) resulting in extreme losses in each yield and crop high quality. Furthermore, the causative fungi of the genus Fusarium produce mycotoxins that accumulate within the grains and represent a severe risk to meals and feed security. Therefore, controlling this illness is of pivotal significance and rising resistant varieties is a sustainable, environmentally pleasant and cost- efficient method.
Though FHB resistance QTL have been genetically mapped greater than 20 years in the past, the genes controlling this illness are largely unknown. In wheat, gene isolation and useful validation is very difficult as a result of large genome measurement and polyploidy.
In a venture funded by the Austrian Science Fund (FWF) we purpose to resolve a Fusarium resistance locus by way of CRISPR/Cas-induced mutagenesis and intensive transcriptome evaluation. Outlined alterations within the candidate area might be generated and evaluated for his or her performance. We are going to mix short- and long-read RNA sequencing applied sciences with quantitative PCR to characterize the gene mannequin and determine causal transcripts for resistance.
The PhD scholar might be concerned in work specializing in transcriptomics, RNA-seq information analyses and RT-qPCR. The coed can even be skilled in genome modifying and tissue tradition and carry out phenotyping trials of mutants.
Challenge staff: Dr. Barbara Steiner, Prof. Hermann Buerstmayr consultants in ‘Fusarium analysis’, Prof. Eva Stöger, Dr. Eszter Kapusi experience in genome modifying, Prof. Heinz Himmelbauer, Ass.-Prof. Juliane Dohm, Dr. Maria Kalyna help RNA-seq information evaluation.
Ideally your profile incudes
- MSc diploma in plant breeding, plant biotechnology, molecular genetics, bioinformatics or a associated subject with relevance to plant genomics and biotechnology
- Ardour for crop enchancment, molecular genetics and genomics
- Bioinformatics abilities, skill to work with large-scale sequence information
- ‘Moist lab work’ abilities, e.g. expertise in RNA extraction, RT-qPCR, tissue tradition
- Workforce orientation, communication abilities, good scientific writing in English
- A PhD place for a length of three years with a probation interval for 3 months
- Wage in accordance with collective settlement for Universities in Austria for a 30h/week contract
- The analysis might be carried out on the Institute of Biotechnology in Plant Manufacturing (Campus Tulln) and the Institute of Plant Biotechnology and Cell Biology (Campus Muthgasse/Vienna)
- Engaging working setting in worldwide analysis teams with versatile working circumstances
- Alternative to use to the BOKU Doctoral Faculty AgriGenomics https://boku.ac.at/docservice/doktoratsstudien/doktoratsschulen/agrigenomics
You probably have any questions, please contact Barbara Steiner firstname.lastname@example.org
Please submit your software (motivation letter, CV and the contact particulars of two references) to email@example.com till 10 Sept. 2021. Anticipated venture begin is fall 2021.