PhD place in pre-synaptic liquid phase-separation mechanisms in neurodegenerative ailments
We’re in search of a extremely motivated Ph.D. scholar to outline how the biophysical strategy of section separation of proteins and organelles at neuronal synaptic contacts acts in neurodegeneration and the way it may be exploited to induce neuronal safety.
In regards to the labs
The laboratory of prof. Patrik Verstreken is positioned on the VIB-KU Leuven Heart for Mind & Illness Analysis, a global high-profile analysis heart on the College of Leuven. The group is keenly within the mechanisms of neurodegeneration and has made a number of impactful contributions that time to synaptic dysfunction as one of many earliest defects in such ailments (e.g. Uytterhoeven et al. 2011 Cell; Vos et al. 2012 Science; Soukup et al., 2016 Neuron; Valadas et al., 2018 Neuron). The Verstreken lab additionally discovered that the protein “Tau”, which is vital to >20 neurodegenerative ailments, together with Alzheimer’s illness, associates with synaptic vesicles by binding to “Synaptogyrin-3”, and that interfering with this interplay rescues synaptic dysfunction (Zhou et al. 2017 Nature Communications; McInnes et al., 2018 Neuron; Largo-Barrientos et al., 2021 Neuron). Of curiosity, there are a number of parallels with the method of section separation, an idea that’s now transferring to the middle stage.
Your objective is to find out the perform of section separation of proteins and organelles (synaptic vesicles) at synapses within the physiology of synaptic transmission, and the pathophysiology of neuronal illness. You’ll use superior biochemistry and biophysics, optical tweezers, genome enhancing in addition to electrophysiology, electron microscopy, and superior gentle microscopy in human-induced neurons and fruit flies to achieve your objective. On the similar time, additionally, you will be uncovered to the colourful entrepreneurial atmosphere at VIB and at KU Leuven, and work with professionals within the subject of innovation and translation on the interface of educational science and biotechnology.
We’re looking for a extremely motivated, enthusiastic, important, and artistic particular person to hitch our staff. The candidate ought to have a robust curiosity in synapse biology and neurodegenerative ailments, resembling Alzheimer’s illness.
• Masters diploma in biomedicine, neuroscience, genetics, bio-engineering or equal (a minimum of cum laude);
• Primary molecular biology strategies (e.g. recombinant DNA expertise);
• Primary immunohistochemistry and microscopy;
• Essential mindset and a quick learner and the flexibility to collaborate in a multidisciplinary mission with worldwide and nationwide companions;
• Good time administration and communication expertise, verbal and writing, and glorious mastery of English
• Expertise in protein biochemistry and manipulation in vitro;
• Expertise with imaging;
• Expertise with superior molecular biology (genome enhancing)
• Primary bioinformatic expertise (R or Python) is useful
• A Stimulating, various, worldwide, and exceptionally sturdy analysis atmosphere in a world-class tutorial analysis lab;
• An thrilling primary analysis mission with a translational element and publicity to a vibrant biotech startup tradition at VIB and KU Leuven;
• Alternative to be taught thrilling novel expertise;
• Entry to state-of-the-art infrastructure on the heart for Mind & Illness Analysis;
• Monetary assist is accessible. Nonetheless, the profitable candidate is inspired to acquire a private fellowship;
Begin date: as quickly as attainable – the place is accessible instantly
The best way to apply?
For extra data contact email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org. Please full the net utility process and embody a motivation letter, an in depth CV (together with a listing of publications and former analysis expertise), and the contact data of three referees.